A to Z
March 23rd 1923

(Newspaper Clipping)

The National Army Headquarters yesterday issued the following official report:-

"A detachment of the 13th Infantry Battalion, operating from Loughlinstown, surrounded the house, 68 Albert Road, between Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire, about 9 am today."

"Fire was open on the troops from inside the house, and one soldier was shot dead. The troops returned the fire, and the house was subsequently rushed, when five Irregulars and one woman, found inside were made prisoners."

"One Irregular was shot dead and one wounded in the exchange of fire."

"The captures made by the troops include 3 rifles, 3 revolvers, several hundred rounds of ammunition, a quantity of bombs and other equipment."

"A local leader named Meighan was among the party of Irregulars taken prisoners."

"Our coast representative states that one soldier was killed and two of the attackers were wounded in the encounter in Albert road."

A cycle patrol detached from the 13th battalion, under the command of Captain Micheal Kelly, left Loughlinstown Workhouse yesterday morning, and cycled through a wide area of Dalkey and Killiney. En route the party arrested a young man named Terence O’Brien. They then came on Glenageary, and at 68 Albert Road halted in the intention of making inquires. Captain Kelly, inspecting the locality, placed men around the house no. 68 and took steps to prevent any person from leaving it.

The occupants had become aware of the presence of soldiers, and, as soon as an approach was made opened fire on them. The soldiers replied, and during the fusillade a man named William Meighan was seen trying to escape from one of the windows.

In the first attack Corporal Baker was mortally wounded, and in the subsequent fighting two of the attackers – Micheal Neary and Patrick Thomas - were seriously wounded.

The troops rushed the house and captured four prisoners-the two wounded men already mentioned, a man named Taylor and William Meighan, a native of Dalkey, who is regarded as a local leader. They also found in the house, and arrested, a girl named Lily O’Brien.

The wounded were taken to St. Micheals’ Hospital, Kingstown.

Corporal Baker, who sustained a wound to the abdomen, died from the effects of it at about 3 o’clock in the afternoon.

The man Neary who was hit in the leg, thigh and shoulder, is in a very serious condition, and no hope of his recovery is entertained. Thomas, who is about 18 years of age has been moved to St. Bricin’s Hospital Dublin. His condition is not so serious. His left arm was broken by a bullet, which also entered his left breast. He is expected to make a good recovery.

It is stated that when the troops stopped Terence O’Brien and questioned him, he gave his name as O’Connor. They were about to let him go when something aroused their suspicion. On further questioning, he confessed that his real name was O’Brien, and that he lived at 68, Albert road.

Taylor and Meighan belong to Dalkey, and Neary at one time worked in Bray. Patrick Thomas is also a native of Dalkey.

Dalkey Post Office Raid (Newspaper Clipping) 4th February 1923
Dalkey Post Office was entered at 8 0'clock last night by two yound men, armed with revolvers. They threatened the two women clerks, smashed the telegraph instruments with a small hammer, which one of them carried and then left.
Arrest at Dalkey (Newspaper Clipping) 13th February 1923
A messenger boy named Kelly, an employee of the Dublin and South-Eastern Railway Company, was taken into custody by soldiers at Dalkey on Monday night last. An elder brother of the prisoner was arrested some time ago. 

[History Page]

[Dalkey Home Page]